c

Monday, August 21, 2006

sense and insensitivity

If you happen to read this, and work out that it's about you - apologies in advance for such indiscretion and for any offence taken however unlikely the event. I reiterate my gossiping policy which appears on the cover page. Moreover, not that I'm scraping for excuses, nobody else reading this has met you and if they ever do I know they'll adore you as much as I do. Trust me - I may have poor taste generally, but I have great taste in people.

For a decent part of Honours year I half-heartedly nurtured a healthy-sized crush on this guy. Half-hearted for it was a love affair doomed from the start. Among the obstacles standing in our way were:
  1. our comparable lack of basic social skills;
  2. his utter oblivion to the whole thing, for the most part anyway (as is usually the case with objects of one's hidden affection); and
  3. my concurrent and seriouser crush on some girl halfway across the world (and otherwise quite unattainable), which crush was forcing me to confront my previously realised-but-ignored fluidity/versatility/diversity/whatever-else-you-wan2-call-it.
At the time I was highly dismissive of the crush in question, putting it down to a manifestation of my denial of, and/or an attempted solution to, the crush referred to in point 3 above. In hindsight, however, I am more convinced that there might've been some substance to it. I mean really, why wouldn't/shouldn't I like a guy who sings, writes, makes tiramisu, and has good dress sense?

I'll tell you why. Because guys like him simply don't go 'round with gals like me. They belong with... guys like themselves! Though I can't be 100% sure, that was the gist I got from our last virtual exchange. Dude, I don't care how stupid or daggy this sounds, thanks for sharing - in such cool understated fashion, to boot.

With each discovery of this kind the world makes a little more sense. (Not a word from yous about my taste in men.)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

02:11pm 27/08/2006

i mull and mull and mull over it. rest assured i read it the same day you posted it (and re-read it several times if i may add), only i was at a loss as to how to make the most appropriate response. i still am as i type, though i try. today i had to dig out, remind myself, and re-indulge in that very first email you'd sent, some two years ago.

how do i start? it's the most flattering thing for me ever, to say the least. and every time i come to where you put it so matter-of-factly of our comparable lack in the social graces, what can i do but let loose a hearty chortle. plus, i'm appreciative of your careful clarification of everything and the extra-discreet and sensible way in which you conveyed it, in the fascinatingly convoluted language you're good at, to boot. i mean, you probably knew your conjecture was right (not that, apparently, that was--or there was a need for, to begin with--at all any conjecture).

few people (to be exact, i can't think of anyone else) say such things to/about me the way you do so openly, and i'm eternally grateful to you for showing me that possibly, maybe, somewhere, sometime in the vast expanse of universe, i have the capacity to mean something, anything, to someone, anyone--no matter how ephemeral and tenuous in nature.

to brazenly though aptly quote you; with each discovery of this kind the world makes a little more sense.

let's do dinner soon! (did we ever??)

5:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home