c

Sunday, May 14, 2006

mercenary

No idea how I survived last year working 40+ hours a week plus uni plus living with my parents. Tried easing myself back into that nolifestyle by going half-throttle this week (20+ hours' work, ignoring the 2 units with no mid-year exams, dealing with just one parent).

So, lab.

Minuses
  • Stuff smells / is radioactive / hides from me
  • Regular visits by Azn-wannabe (a politer alternative to 'Asiaphile'?)
  • Showing up to tutes afterwards in odourous/radioactive attire
  • Being reminded of one man's undying devotion to me whenever I ask him for a work-related favour

Pluses

  • $$$ obviously (one of the Honours students asked whether I did it 'voluntarily', whereupon I visibly choked...)
  • Internet access 2m from where my gadget is set up
  • Getting more study done during the waiting periods than at home (where there's always some matter to attend upon) or in libraries (which categorically put me to sleep)
  • The nerd that I am, I get a small kick out of knowing what I'm doing (which kick my legal study seldom provides)
  • Did I mention the $$$?

On balance, albeit by a margin, a worthwhile pursuit.

There are prospects of working for this Asian lady lecturer (bugger political correctness) next door. Couple of reservations about the proposal: 1) a general reluctance to work with Azns (I know how hard we work ... our subordinates!); 2) a preconceived inability to maintain sterile conditions (incompatible with any tissue-culture work).

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home