c

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Dr. who?

No, not him. But another superstar to pre-teens I missed out on growing up with (because I was busy reciting Communist propaganda poems and watching Taiwanese soap operas): Dr. Seuss. I'm not familiar with the exact pre-requisites for superstardom and all, but if years after you sign out someone still bothers to slap your words together with song and dance, and someone else is prepared to fork out the price of a respectable-verging-on-extravagant meal to behold the first-mentioned someone's concoction - then as far as I'm concerned you've made it.

My prior near-perfect ignorance of the guy's life and work notwithstanding, I enjoyed Seussical! as much as any 23yo could, I suppose. But I probably enjoyed hanging out with N, her schoolmate H, and hubby's littlest sister C (Am I allowed to use 'sister-in-law'?) - more. The fact that they're all of that tender age when candy = currency, silly = cool, and any bogus explanation of the plot (to cover up my lack of Seuss know-how) is accepted with enthusiasm minus suspicion - is entirely to blame for my popularity among this demographic.

But what does it say about the current pace of my intellectual advancement, that a major source of nourishment is events attended predominantly by pre-teens? (In my defence on this particular occasion, however, and however unconvincingly: I only went to support / take advantage of hubby's gradual infiltration into the 'musical theatre crowd'.) Not much, obviously. And whatever it does say just goes over my head anyway - my ever shrinking head.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home