c

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

moonlighting: reload

Yesterday I left Work five-on-the-dot, dashed home to grab a bite / change out of my daytime attire (read: non-bogan), then headed back out into the stormy moonless night. Thus re-launched my secret double (working) life.

Before you thump me, friends, save your strength: I have not heeded the calling of the Sunflower (this fourth time 'round). 'tis to another of my numerous pecuniarily profitable talents that I owe the pleasure of my latest venture; namely, early childhood education (argh the cheek of me).

I am indebted also to my runner-up Most Prolific Pimp (closely behind Other Mother), Wonderwoman (a.k.a. former boss / daughter-in-law of Sunflower boss / soon-to-be Sunflower boss?), who decided to place a small part of the futures of her niece and two nephews in my weathered, unsteady hands.

H6, T7 and G11 moved to Oz some weeks ago from Taiwan, and are now going through that formative time in every young immigrant's life when everything's a hard slog and nothing's much fun. And it is my role to facilitate their smooth and hassle-minimal (for the parents, at least) transition into a not-sure-how-much-different-it-can-be-initially-what-with-same-food-same-interior-deco-relatives-living-on-same-street way of life.

'tis easy to presume, I suppose, given my warm demeanour and minimalist lifestyle, that I cannot be motivated by anything other than a genuine and profound concern for the welfare - not only of my fellow beings, but also of their spawn. However, those nearest and dearest to me would surely know better (or ought to): 'tis mostly about the dosh. The altruism is in there somewhere too, not that it signifies anything one way or the other; but I am more excited about the slackening of my food budget and other implications of the re-opening of this additional income stream.

'twas a relatively painless two hours of my evening, though I'd expected to have more fun - if it is even possible to have expectations about these things. In between: resisting being called "Teacher" ("Old Master" in Chinese) / the kids tactlessly (obviously, being children) pointing out my smelliness (due to omission of post-rain shower) / the mum poking her head in every 5 minutes and shushing them / an aunt (not Wonderwoman) playing disciplinarian where I would not and mum could not – I had trouble remembering what it was that I, or rather we, scattered around a cluttered living room in a foreign land, were hoping to accomplish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home